Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I’ll have what they’re having: the impact of friends on teenagers’ eating habits

A trip down memory lane…

Remember back in high school, when your biggest concern was getting out of class so you could hang out with your friends (as a grad student, I still look forward to that part of my day!)?  Friends are a major part of a teenager’s life, so it might not come as a surprise then that a teenager’s eating habits might be greatly influenced by what their friends are eating. 




Ooo tell me more!

In a recent study published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, researchers from the University of Minnesota wanted to find out how the eating habits of a group of friends influenced one teenager’s eating habits in that group.  To do this, the researchers asked students from 20 middle and high schools what they were eating, and then asked them to identify who their friends were from a school roster.  By matching up eating behaviors with groups of teenagers, the researchers were able to identify the average eating behavior in a group of friends, and how that behavior influenced a particular teenager.  Researchers found:
·      A teenager is more likely to eat breakfast on a particular day if his or her friend group eats breakfast regularly throughout the week
·      A teenager’s intake of dairy products and whole grains increases if his or her friends’ intake increases

Interesting!  But, wait – does that mean there is no hope for me to change my teen’s eating habits?  Is it all about his/her friends?

Absolutely not!  The study establishes that there is a relationship between teenagers’ eating habits and their friends eating habits, not that it is the only predictor of a teenager’s eating behavior.  This might help explain why your teen eats the way he or she does.  Parents can work to improve their teen’s diet through a number of ways, like getting their teens involved in the preparation of meals.  Adolescence is an especially important time to improve eating habits because the body needs proper nutrition and energy to sustain growth and developmental changes.  There is also some evidence that proper nutrition in the teenage years can prevent some chronic diseases.  To find out what you should be feeding your teen to provide optimal health, check out this website. 

That’s very helpful.  Who else can use these findings?

This research is really important for health professionals because it means they can educate groups of teenagers, rather than individuals, on how to eat healthier.  It’s sometimes easier to change a group’s eating habits because the individuals within the group can rely on each other for support.  This makes the education more successful, and ultimately leads to an improvement in eating habits.

Oh great.  Sounds like those health professionals have their work cut out for them.  By the way, who are you again?

Nick Deputy is a doctoral student studying Nutrition and Health and Sciences at Emory University.  When he was a young teenager, he was dared to eat an entire bag of Chips Ahoy! cookies by his friends.  He enjoyed every bite. 

Bruening M, Eisenberg M, Maclehose R, Nanney MS, Story M, Neumark-Sztainer D. Relationship between Adolescents' and Their Friends' Eating Behaviors: Breakfast, Fruit, Vegetable, Whole-Grain, and Dairy Intake. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012
Oct;112(10):1608-13.


14 comments:

  1. Love it! I have friendships that were built upon how much we ate together so I can definitely relate to this post. I agree with Kenton, you utilized the question and answer format really well and it makes the post very easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! In terms of conveying information, being easy to understand, and having helpful action items, this post is one of the best I've seen. My own eating habits are definitely influenced by those around me, it's good to know I'm not alone (or possibly not good to know that I have the peer pressure susceptibility of a teenager). I love the absurd stock photo of the overly ecstatic pizza eaters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting post Nick! Your reference of the study of teenagers gave you authority as an "expert" without sounding too researchy. I also really liked the question-answer format, it made it very user-friendly and clear who your target audience is. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick, great post! Your description of the study findings was informative and easy to understand, and I also like the post formatting. You could think about tailoring the first paragraph more towards parents concerned about what their teens are eating, as later in the post, it sounded as though they are your audience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nick,

    This was a lot of fun to read (and slightly terrifying at the same time). As a parent of a little one, I often wonder how much impact I have now on what her eating habits will be when she gets older. Your post reminded me that while I do have some influence, I better hope she picks good friends (or that she is a strong enough influence that I can help them eat better too by helping her eat well). : )

    I think you did a great job laying out the information and shaping it in a way that is both informative and empowering for parents. I also agree with Jen's post above about reshaping the first paragraph -- I think that might match the rest of the post a little better. Regardless, I think you had a great format and a very amusing picture that caught my attention right away. :)

    Nice work!

    PS - I actually know some of the folks from the U of MN that did this study, and it's neat to think about how they used a social network analysis style approach to understanding eating behaviors of teens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nick!

    I liked the Grease theme! It kept the early paragraphs moving, and really draws readers to keep going down your text. It's definitely easy to get jealous of others if you have to eat "healthier" or not exciting enough foods, and I can definitely see why kids-especially teens-would have a hard time of it.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Nick,
    I think this is a really great example of a transdisciplinary approach and has huge potential for future diet interventions. I like that you made implications at both individual and group levels. Not much to say in terms of critique that hasn't already been said.
    Great job!
    David

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nick - great post! One of my favorite parts was your headings. I think they do a great job not only of engaging the reader, but making reading your blog an interactive experience, which I think is really cool. The links you incorporated also added to the interactive reading experience and were great ways for readers to find more information about the implications of the research. The overall tone of the article was great - awesome job!
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey buddy - fab job! I could actually see this as a real blog post. I agree with what others have said above about reworking the first paragraph, and I think the following sentence is a bit confusing in its placement and can be remove entirely: " This might help explain why your teen eats the way he or she does." Other than that, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nick,

    I agree with the other comments -- you have a great tone, and the post flows really well. Your formatting plays a big part of that. Visually, your post is appealing and draws your reader in, rather than fatiguing their eyes with blocks of uninterrupted text. I wonder what this means for us as adults? Would attempting to change our friend's diets help our own? Or just annoy everyone around us?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nick,

    I think this was a great article. Your leading subtitles were great (Ooo Tell me more). Yes, tell me more is what I thought throughout the whole article. It was relatable to all audiences because everyone has been a teenager and probably was influenced by their friend's diets. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Nick! I thought it was an interesting topic. I like the use of titles above your paragraphs to help guide people through the post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed this post. It would be great to see what other groups of people could benefit from group "influenced" eating.

    ReplyDelete