Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Some cole slaw with your CPU?

Do you ever wonder what happened to the first computer you ever saw in your house? The one that caused fist fights with your sister because you both wanted to play King’s Quest and neither would relent to let the other play first. The one your entire family shared before you got your own personal computer that feels as light as a marshmallow. You know, the one that looked like a box that you could barely wrap your arms around. It was really heavy, too.

Yeah, that piece of ancient history probably wound up somewhere like China or Africa because manufacturers didn’t want to bear the burden of recycling it responsibly. Well, they still don’t. So they ship it illegally to developing countries where people who are already suffering from poor living conditions get to have old computers piled into their front yards and back yards. Not to worry, they can scrape a living by seeing what sorts of precious metals they can extract from our garbage. Oh, they can always burn the useless pieces to clear the trash from their living spaces. All sounds peachy…except that these activities mean chemicals put into computers to prevent them from catching on fire are entering their bodies, chemicals that no one wants in their bodies, chemicals that cause things like lower fertility in both men and women and development issues in children. These toxic chemicals, commonly called flame retardants, have been found in the air and dust of these electronic waste sites. As it turns out, flame retardants enter the body most readily through ingestion. But who is going to pick up a handful of dust and eat it? (Unless they’re one of those pregnant ladies that get those weird cravings.) Probably no one, but they’re ingesting the chemicals anyway.

A recent study* done in China found excessively high levels of flame retardants in the fish consumed by residents of a waste site. These communities rely heavily on seafood as part of their diet.

How does this affect me, you may be wondering. China’s fish is contaminated, not mine. Eh, it probably doesn’t affect you a whole lot but guess what? These chemicals aren’t bound to the products they’re put in so as you’re reading this post, they are leaking out and settling into the ever-present dust bunnies where you are probably unwittingly ingesting them. And they really like to stick around. And accumulate in fatty deposits that exist in our food chain. So yep, we’re eating it, too.

Okay…what do we do? This is a difficult question to answer with no easy out. Flame retardants have been banned a few times since they first came out in the 1970s but the chemical industry responds by tweaking them slightly so that it is marginally different from its banned predecessor. Sneaky, huh? We don’t need these chemicals. The ultimate goal would be to redesign our electronics so that they are sustainable and safe from production to end of life.

To find out more about solving the electronic waste problem, check out this site.

*Chan JKY, et al, Dietary intake of PBDEs of residents at two major electronic waste recycling sites in China, Sci Total Environ (2012), doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2012.06.093.



Beverly Shen is a PhD student in Environmental Health Sciences at Emory University who probably dated herself by referencing King’s Quest. The 90s were rad.

12 comments:

  1. Beverly,
    I thought this post was awesome! So fun to read and you make this issue totally relatable! Just a couple of suggestions: it may be confusing for some people to make the jump from saying the chemicals are in the dust to saying it was found in fish. Maybe suggest a hypothesis for how this happens, even if it's not the only way. Also, maybe link to an article or another study that has shown that flame retardants are in our blood, as well. Just to strengthen your point about it happening here, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beverly,

    Such an interesting post! Your title was really catchy and made me want to read your blog. At the end of the post, I really wanted to know more about what to do- I thought the link was great. It might be good to add a few of the suggestions as a teaser in your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting topic! It could be better if you include a picture to illustrating how retardants in computers end up in our food for a better understanding of lay audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great post, Beverly! I really liked how you linked this back to a broader issue of sustainability, bringing in where the things that we throw out actually go (I certainly don't think about this much, so it's always helpful to be reminded), as well as manufacturing-side decisions about what chemicals are put in our products and why. The thing that really caught my interest was the corporate practice of reformulating and rebranding what is basically the same unsafe chemical that maybe shouldn't be in the product in the first place. I definitely want to learn more about that! I also appreciated the picture - I thought it was funny.

      Great job!

      Rebecca

      Delete
  4. I was so looking forward to reading your post after watching your elevator speech, and you didn't disappoint. I think this topic is so interesting, and overall, you do a great job of laying out the issues in this area. I think the imagery you use (computers piling up in someone's yard, describing the size of these CPUs) was very effective and really helps get your point across. I agree with a couple of the comments above regarding clarifying a few points and with adding some tips for implementation. (I get what you were saying about the chemicals leaking from our computers into our homes, but I think it might be difficult for some readers to follow the direct link between fish in China and American dust bunnies.) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beverly, I loved your post! The title is what first caught my eye and prompted me to read it and the tone you used was great! Your tone kept me hooked and not only made this post entertaining but also enhanced the message you conveying. It made this issue important to me not only because of the interesting topic matter but because you wrote in such a way that allowed me to relate to it. Great job!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Beverly,

    I was also very excited to read your post after hearing your elevator speech! I continue to be fascinated by how we think our fancy stuff helps us do so much, but is actually not so great for us in ways most of us don't know how to comprehend.

    I think your overall tone is great throughout the blog (love the 90's references!), but I agree that more pictures can help lay out each of your points more clearly. Also, if you use a series of pictures connected by arrows to show the impact, I think that would be extremely powerful and make the connection clear for people.

    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! The introductory paragraph really drew me in. I like that you addressed the "what can I do about it" and provided a link with more infromation. I also appreciated that you tried to make the reader relate to the problem. The links between possible exposures (fish to dust) were a little tricky to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt like I was reading a story, and wanted to know what would happen. :) (btw, I too have scars from fighting over computer games... come find me and I will show you the damage!)

    Great, important topic and great writing!
    Links would be a fun addition. I'm pretty sure you would have come up with some great ones! Also for added relevance on the effects/recycling end, more about what those nasties do to people would be good.

    Nicely done!
    radhika

    ps. Reading everyone else's comments, I feel like I need to go see your elevator speech.


    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Beverly,

    I really liked your post! Your introduction paragraph really did make me wonder where my humongous old computer went... very frightening to think of the impact it may be having on another country, let alone my health. It was a great way to make your topic relate to the audience. Nice job!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Beverly,

    I really enjoyed this post. Especially the introduction paragraph was really catchy. I forgot about those days of the past lol. Well I thought this was very important for readers to read and be aware of environmental health issues. I also felt like it was an easy read. Great post!!!

    Domonique Watson

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Beverly,

    Your topic is fascinating and you do a great job using lots of different hooks to get your readers interested. (My brother and I didn't have King's Quest, but we did have this amazing game where you could build your own dinosaur from the skeleton up on our Intel 486). I too would like to hear more about how the chemicals get from people's front yard into their fish. I also wouldn't have minded some editorializing about the social justice and/or policy aspects of the problem. I felt like you took me halfway through the story, and then left me wanting more. You did a nice job of providing links that I could use, but as the post author, you're my expert and I wanted to hear what you had to say!

    Overall, great work, great writing, and a good catchy title.

    ReplyDelete