Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Is math killing you?


If you are a student, or know someone who is, you are well aware that it's that time of year where final exams and papers are in full force. You've probably also heard desperate sighs followed by "my math class is killing me".

Sounds crazy, right? Maybe not. That stomach ache that you get every time you think about your math class may not be "all in your head". A new study has found that anticipation of math-related tasks can stimulate a part of the brain associated with threat detection (think fight or flight response) and may actually result in actual experiences of pain. Although this "pain" won't actually kill you, according to Lyons and his team, this pain response may explain why some people tend to avoid math and math-related situations.

Awesome, as if you need another reason to dread that math exam. The good news is that anxiety in anticipation of math was not actually related to performance, so don't despair! Being worried about that homework or final doesn't mean that you should give up all together!

Instead, explore ways to reduce your anxiety so that you can stay health and focus on the task ahead. There is no one right way to de-stress, so be open to the possibilities and find what works best for you!

In the classroom, try different approaches to learning the material, like trying new ways of studying, talking with your professors and peers or getting a tutor. Some people may even find that some medications, like beta-blockers, make stressful situations more manageable.

Consider embracing your fear. Mindfulness-based mediation, a type of meditation based in Buddhist principles may be a promising way to control physical and emotional pain. This type of meditation is all about being present in the moment and raising your awareness in a nonjudgemental way. Perhaps one of the best ways to get rid of your anxiety is to get to know it!

At home, explore different ways of relaxing in general, like yoga, going for a walk, or enjoying a good meal with friends. Chances are, you have things you like to do when you are not studying or working, so be kind to yourself and allow yourself the time to recharge so that your mind is fresh and you can focus on learning.

And most importantly, don't give up!


Who knows, maybe you are the next Albert Einstein.

Danielle Haley is a doctoral student at Emory University in the Department of Behavioral Sciences and Health Education. She is currently dealing with her own math-related stress by riding her horse, Luna.





19 comments:

  1. Excellent blog post: I love how it's casual, spoken in conversational language, and very relatable. There are also very good suggestions for what people can do about this problem. One thing I was thinking was that some people get the takeaway message that math WAS actually killing them in some way (as opposed to simply causing sensations of pain, kind of a big difference) so making that distinction might be important.

    Also, that last sentence, was that a reference to the (disputed) factoid that Einstein initially struggled at math before his genius started to emerge? I'm not sure how many people correctly know that tidbit, that might have to be clarified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback! I would definitely not want people to think that math would kill them and tweaked the language :)

      Delete
  2. Great title! You did a great job with taking a study and showing how it is applied in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I like your efforts in explaining the research results in such plain and spoken words.
    However, as a student majoring in math and statistics during college, I feel like the contents are really surprising. For me, it's a pleasure to enjoy the beauty behind math. Perhaps, I have seldom care about other guys' trouble in learning math. Therefore, I really appreciate your suggestions for students struggling against math problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danielle,

    I loved your post! Especially the title; it pulled me in immediately. I enjoyed how you made the post relevant to everybody. I also enjoyed the "what to do" portion. It was very conversational. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Danielle,
    I also thought this was a great post. I loved the conversational tone--I felt like you were really speaking to me. I also thought you did a nice job in terms of suggesting things for people to do to curb their math-related anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle-
    Interesting topic! I liked how you tied in research findings and offered direct suggestions. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Danielle,

    Very nice post -- you do a great job of keeping the tone conversational while relaying lots of useful information. I especially enjoyed the list of things a person who might feel a bit math (or stats) phobic can try to reduce the pain.

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Danielle - good post. I liked the choice of topic, and segue into methods of increasing relaxation in daily life to be able to handle how math "kills" you a little if you get stressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Danielle, I really liked your post-very interesting topic! I also thought your first picture was awesome. You did a great job of not only explaining the article but suggesting some ways to combat the math-induced anxiety. Nice job!
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Danielle,

    I just wrote you a long response, then the internet dropped out for a minute and erased it! Anyway, I think you do a nice job explaining the science of the fear and also giving good examples of what people can do to address it.

    I think it would be nice to see you bring that back in at the very end (i.e., Be patient with yourself: learning to manage your fear is a skill set that can be learned just like all the math you are learning).

    Nice work! Good luck with your math-related finals!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I would have seen this post at the beginning of Probability Theory this semester! The post was very easy to follow and conversational. Good job.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a very interesting finding. I love how concise and clear your post is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. I'm glad you focused on coping strategies for the stress rather than letting the issue sit there and making people think that it's simply a crutch. Well-written!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Danielle,

    Excellent job! I learned a lot from your post, not only the information but also the writing and communication style.

    It's interesting that you mentioned Einstein at the end of your post. It reminds me of one of his quotes:
    Do not worry about your difficulties in math; I can assure you that mine are still greater.
    I don't know how the myth came about that Einstein was poor at mathematics at an early age. The truth is he definitely excelled at math.

    Meditation is also one of my ways of relaxing, and another is music.
    I recently came across a meta-analysis paper exploring three questions regarding the connection between music and math. 1) Do individuals who voluntarily choose to study music show higher mathematical achievement? 2) Do individuals exposed to a music curriculum in school (not voluntarily selected) show higher mathematical achievement? 3) And does background music heard while thinking about math problems serve to enhance mathematical ability at least during the music listening time?

    The answers to the first two questions are yes. While the answer to the third question is “a small and shaky yes”, more and more studies emerging demonstrate the influence of classical background music on mathematical performance.

    So next time when you're struggling with math, listen to Bach, especially The Well-Tempered Clavier; believe me, it's fully of the beauty of mathematical precision and logical structure.

    Hefei

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks to you all for your comments! I really enjoyed reading them. As Peizhou Liao reminded me, we all have different skill sets and can sometimes take it for granted that some topics that come easily for one person are the bane of someone else's existence! I am going to take Hefei's advice and listen to some Bach while I study for BIOS and EIPD this weekend. Good luck to all of you with finals!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK, as a math lover, I am much more likely to say that Philosophy or History drives me batty! As many people have said, the casual tone make this a very readable blog post. I like the link off to coping methods as well as the in text discussion of specific coping method. This strategy gives the reader something work with immediately without going off to search while providing other options if they want to go looking.

    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Danielle,

    I really like your blog. It was very interesting. I like how you offered ways to cope with these challenges. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a nice blog and so informative as well, I want to say a very big thanks to Dr.Itua for helping me with his Herbal Roots clease,after 10years of marriage with no child but thank God today with the help of Dr.Itua Herbal Medicine  i got pregnant with the period of 4 weeks after the herbal  treatment and i pray God give him more power to help other stander out there trying to get pregnant.for help you can reach him via: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com   or call whatsApp Number: +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete